“Without this there would be no way for us to have a home,… getting a home actually happened in good timing because I switched jobs and I took a pay cut and I wouldn’t have been able to make rent. … just knowing that this is my home and I am paying mortgage and I am not throwing away my money on rent. It has made things better.”
Habitat creates and sustains affordable home ownership through new and rehab home construction and exterior home repairs.
Since 1999, we have partnered with 74 families, helping them build or rehab their own home for purchase. Habitat continues to serve each family through post-home purchase support services throughout their 20 year mortgage term.
The benefits of Habitat homeownership are numerous to the family and their community. Habitat homeowners:
- Typically pay less for their mortgage than renting which means they can save money for the future.
- Build credit through on-time mortgage payments and financial equity through their home as an asset.
- Have a stable home to thrive and grow in; their children are more likely achieve a higher level of education, allowing for more professional opportunities.
- Are more engaged in their community, caring about safety and well-being, and long-term value.
- Revitalize the community by maintaining their new home and encouraging others to do so, as well.
- Pay city and county property taxes (more than the vacant lot that was there) like everyone else.